Sunday, April 19, 2009

So... Hi

My week from h-e-l-l is over. Actually, that's a lie. I had a really good week, it was just really, really, really busy.


It's been awhile since I've written and I've been doing a lot of soul-searching. One of the reasons I wanted to go into exercise science was because all along I've been thinking about pursuing physical therapy. I thought I could use an exercise science degree to bridge myself into the health field. But, since that didn't happen, I have been thinking about other things.


I was looking at physical therapy school and it's expensive, really expensive. So, I thought maybe I would like to do a PTA program. I went up to a community college about an hour or so from my house and visited with the program head to talk about my desires to become a part of the PT world. After talking with him I felt a little more confident, maybe I can do this! So, I decided to call up a family friend, who is a physical therapist and do some shadowing with her. After spending 3 full (12 hour days) with her, I have pretty much come to a new conclusion. PTA is selling myself short.

I am a smart girl, and I've never really overly-challenged myself. I have had... oh, I don't know 3 people tell me to go for full PT and not to just do the Assistant.

2 of the 3 people told me that I'm a natural leader and should do PT, because I lead well. (I actually like to follow in some instances, but I suppose I can lead too. I like both sides.)

All of the people told me that I'm too smart for PT Assistant. Which, I guess is nice.


So...great! Right? Well, there is a big downfall... I am missing quite a number of core classes required for Physical Therapy school. I have to take about a year's worth of science courses before I could apply to PT school... This is going to be hard. PTA is less debt, less time but won't pay as well... I see pros and cons in both the positions, and I want to make the best choice for me.

The one really cool thing about physical therapy school is that it is now a doctorate degree. So, I would graduate with a clinicial doctorate and become a DPT.



Oh, and just in case anyone suggests it- there are only 3 programs in the entire USA that you can bridge from a PTA degree to a full PT... and I have been told by everyone that it is not a good idea to do.


So I have to decide one or the other. But, the more I think about it, the more I think I really want to push myself to do PT.

But, it's also going to cost me a shit-ton of money, which is deathly frightening to me. =/

Ok... Time to go lay down! I've been super lazy today and it has been fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment