Monday, April 15, 2013

First Day of ClinEd II: Acute Care


Today was my first day of acute care for ClinEd II. I can’t believe I’m out on clinical again! It seems like it has been such a long time since I was able to be with real patients. I was nervous, but not as nervous as before I started my first clinical. This time I felt confident that I could interact with patients and was more nervous about getting there early, having a good CI and liking my placement. 
Lucky for me, I did all those things. I got a quick orientation as far as being introduced to everyone and my CI oriented me to the electronic documentation system as well as our orders for the day. We ended up seeing six patients. This is a huge difference from out-patient when I was used to seeing 10-13 patients. It seemed slow, but we weren't really sitting around doing nothing either.
 I came home a little worried because I am really hoping that I like this experience and I had an “ok” day. Nothing horrible happened, but nothing really exciting happened. But, I am keeping my hopes up that I will begin to like it more as I get used to how everything works. My CI was really good about explaining everything to me and told me she obviously doesn’t expect me to remember everything all at once. I observed for most of the day, but did get to assist with a couple people with walking. I felt fairly comfortable and I’m definitely ready to jump in, but I was also glad that my CI did not throw me to the wolves and instead allowed me to observe and get used to how everything works. 
So, here's to hoping things can only go up from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment