Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Week Two of Acute Care

Well, this week has been a little rough at times for me. Monday was a frustrating day because I got my log-in information, but the documentation program is very tricky and it took me over an hour to document an evaluation. I was so frustrated afterwards at the things that I missed from my subjective information and how long it took me. My CI wasn't upset and told me that I will get the hang of things and not to be too hard on myself. It was still really frustrating! I came home on Monday night and made a note card of all the questions I need to be sure to ask to be able to fill out the correct information on the evaluation form, so hopefully that will help me not to forget. Luckily on Tuesday and today I have done much better with documentation and remembering all the information we need. My CI is currently on the floating rotation so we have been doing a little bit of everything and yesterday we got two total knee replacements. I was excited because I didn't get to deal with any replacements in my first clinical rotation. It's been nice to be able to see the same patients two times a day for the past two days. Most of the patients we have seen are either already discharged or have gone to another facility except for one. We currently have a patient who had a BKA and just had a BKA done on her other side. She has been having good and bad days (she had the surgery last Friday) and they seem to not have her pain medications quite figured out. She was very lethargic on Monday and today, but did really well yesterday. She will be going to a long term care facility when she gets discharged from the hospital but no one is saying when that will be, so I have a feeling we will be working with her for awhile longer. She is a very funny lady and has a pretty good attitude about her situation, which is always helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment