Monday, April 29, 2013

Observing my first surgeries!

     Last Friday and today I had the opportunity to go and see my first surgeries! Both were total knee replacements, but I got the opportunity to see two different surgeons to see if any of their techniques were different. They worked about the same way, although the surgeon I saw today moved much faster than the surgeon I observed on Friday. I was really glad I got the chance to see both because the surgeon I observed on Friday was a little slower and took the time to explain everything he was doing, which was really helpful. It was even more helpful when I went today since the surgeon today moved much faster, I felt like I had an idea of what was going on. The OR is a really interesting place... I was surprised how many people were present and how they are professional, but it is not stressful. I was explaining everything to my dad and he said, "So it'd be like you coming and talking to me while I'm working on a car!" and that describes it perfectly! They are able to do their job but also are having casual conversation at times during the procedure! It blew my mind! Really awesome! I'm excited because I am also going to get the opportunity to observe a total hip replacement as well as a cardiac surgery. My CI has been really nice about trying to find some times for me to go to observe surgery and so I'm really thankful for that because it's really interesting and it's a nice break from the day.

     
     Today my CI let me take the lead for the whole time for two evals instead of us tag teaming like we had been. Overall, they went ok. I'm sure I'm my own worst critic! It's funny how I had all of these plans for certain things when I was in class but it doesn't really apply and everything can change so quickly in real life. It just makes me nervous because I feel like I know the right things to do, it's just the way the hospital works is so different than I expected.  I feel like if I did the evaluations that I practiced in school I would feel a lot more confident, but trying to adapt to how things are run at this hospital has been stressful for me. I almost wish we would've spent the extra time in neuro to do the write ups after patient sims like we did in musculoskeletal and cardiopulm, especially the deciding where the patient should go next... That's the hardest part, is evaluating someone and having one snapshot and basically having to make a call on where they should be discharged to and if they are a good candidate for therapy. But, I feel like I'm already starting to get a little better and hopefully with more and more practice I will get even better.  I just wish I could feel more confident, but I'm taking it one day at a time and my CI seems to be fine with where I am and where we need to go next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment