Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Happy One Year Anniversary (to me)!

Today marks a special day in my physical therapy career... I have been my company for one full year! I cannot even believe that I have been a practicing physical therapist for ONE YEAR! I often think back on my time in school and praise the Lord above I am no longer in classes. Right now, if I were in school, I would be in neuro class.

I feel like I have learned a lot in one year and that I have a lot more to learn as I grow as a physical therapist. Working for my company has been great and stressful all at the same time. But, I'm looking forward to what the future will bring.

Here are ten things I've learned in the past year:

1. When you get a straight forward patient case, be thankful; they do NOT come often.

2. No matter how much you try to get "buy in" there are just some patients that aren't going to buy what you are selling, and that doesn't make you a bad physical therapist

3. You will get people better that you thought you could never get better; and vice versa... You will not get people better that you thought you could get better.

4. You'll find that the most rewarding part of your job is when you can laugh with a patient.

5. Your coworkers will drive you insane from time to time; it's not always sunshine and happiness.

6. You will learn to love the patients that are difficult to love.

7. When you think that you cannot do one more thing, you'll do ten more and impress yourself with your own multi-tasking skills.

8. You may want to quit, and that's OK, everyone has job related stresses.

9. You will learn that it is finally OK to take care of yourself and have hobbies, instead of reading your notes all night.

10. You will learn that yes, after all the questions and doubts, you did make the right choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment