Saturday, May 11, 2013

Could this rotation go any slower?

 Whew. This was a long week! It was a weird one too, lots of running up and down stairs with people wanting us to come back later, being at testing, etc. Nothing really special happened. 

      We have a patient in the ICU that is really having a hard time bouncing back from her CABG and it's been a huge mystery. She is just extremely lethargic and not really responsive other than moaning or occasionally saying one-two words. You have to constantly give her verbal and tactile cuing to stay awake and most of the time when her eyes are open she will focus on you and then all of a sudden lose her focus and have that look of "nobody's home". It's very odd and it has taken all week for the surgeon to finally consult neurology. They had thought it was medication related and so they have taken her off of all her pain meds, she has a UTI (which could be playing into it) and some other issues. But it's just very puzzling. Every day I keep hoping it's medication related and we'll go in and she will be completely awake and alert, but it hasn't happened yet. Her family is questioning the nurses constantly about what has happened and I feel bad because no one really has an answer for her. They finally did a CT scan to check for stroke signs, but it was all negative. I hope when I go on Monday she's made a miraculous recovery!

     I can't believe that this coming week is week five! It is going by fast! I like that it's going by fast because I go up and down about my experience, some of it is good but some of it is just ok so I keep making the best of the situation I'm in! And I'm getting excited for December to get closer and closer, of course! But, I am trying not to wish this experience away because the freedom of what "real life" will be like is great! I am still undecided about acute care. I definitely think that I could like it, but I think I would like it better if I were calling the shots and could do things in the order I'd like too! But, it's nice to see how other therapists work and to get the experience of trying new ways of doing things because I feel like even though I want to resist it (because it's not how I "practiced") I can still learn something from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment