Friday, May 24, 2013

I made it through the week!

 This whole week ended up being pretty good. I was excited because yesterday and today we randomly were assigned some evaluations on the Transitional Care Facility (it's a short term skilled option for some patients instead of going to a different facility... sort of like a subacute/nursing home setting.) And it just so happened that the two patients we were assigned to evaluate were two patients I had evaluated acutely and recommended for TCF. So, the evaluations were pretty smooth and I actually got to do MORE testing! I did some balance testing and the TUG with both patients. The patient today I did the TUG with and without an AD and you would've thought I won a million dollars. And, I got to do "real therapy"! Real exercises! It was a lot of fun! I think I may like that better than acute, but there are some positives of acute. Regardless, after feeling a little down and tired I had a pretty good week. I am excited that this is the end of week six and I'm working on applying all of the suggestions my CI and I discussed over midterm, so I hope that I continue to grow. We have another patient that is my favorite, she is a sweet older lady who had open heart surgery and then had a questionable stroke. They have yet to determine that she had one but have decided she has had a clinical stroke. She was nonverbal and really low-level for quite some time and in the past few days she is really starting to come around. Today, when we went in her room I asked her how she was and without skipping a beat she answered "ok". I almost fell over! :) They are working on getting her medically stable to go to a nursing home and I am really going to miss her when she goes. She was admitted on April 30th, so I feel like I have been treating her almost the entire time I've been at the hospital. But, it's also exciting to see her finally beginning to make (very slow) progress. Happy Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment